History

Quinta da Estribeira

  • The Quinta da Estribeira is dated the end of the XVII Century and the principles of the XVIII Century. It is mentioned in the records, Dom Frei João Souto Maior, as one of its first owners.

    It resisted the earthquake of 1775, and its mentioned in the book “Death of the King” written by Dr. Margarida Palma.

    The urban part was built by an Indian Contador Mor, which favored the use of hardwood, including Casquinhas, Picospain and Sucupiras.

    Later, came to belong to a Kingdom Estribeiro Mor, which at the time was responsible for the carriages and horses of the King. Its strategic location, near Cacém, allowed it to be midway between the Palácio de Queluz – The King’s Official Residence, and the Palácio da Vila in Sintra – The King‘s Summer vacation Residence. It was believed, that the name Estribeira, is rooted in the Estribeiro Mor, there has been made a linguistic perversion, as Estribeiro is masculine, Estribeira has assimilated the female gender for the Quinta association, which is obviously female.

    In 1946 the property was acquired by the current owner‘s grandfather, which in 1996 took over its possession. It was later that year, the massive recovery and restoration works started with full and total respect for the basic architecture and materials used. These works avoid the total loss of this historic building, which was found in an advanced state of degradation.

    Upon completion of the works, and given the innate passion of its owner by horses, the rural part was oriented to a sporting nature, based on the horse.

    In addition to the transformation of old pigpens and cow stables into modern stables with music 24 hours a day for solípedes, built up from scratch a ring cover 60 x 20 by 10m in height, with the work area 40 x 20, and not to descaretrizar, with all existing buildings, it was covered with tiles of red clay. It was also built;

    A carrière with the Olympic measures of 60 x 20 and fully kaolin floor.
    A circular Tentadero circular with a 32.00 m diameter, and three Curr.
    A circular ring with a 15.00 m diameter to move the horses to guide.
    A track gallop with 2000 m to march within the boundaries of the Quinta.

    Currently, this entire structure is functioning as equestrian center, where you collect, store, treat, teach horses and people, or organize equestrian training, with full respect for the noble art of riding.

    In the old urban part, due to its generous size and prestige, it is used for parties and social events.